Monday 7 March 2011

Are you a head chef or a glorified care assistant for the mentally unwell?

I have asked myself many times over the years and I am still unsure. Please don't get me wrong not everyone who works in a kitchen are mentally unstable, but nearly all the ones I have met are! Maybe it is just me and I am actually cursed.
The team I have have now are brilliant and cause me very little aggravation, but it hasn't always been like that. I remember the days when people wouldn't turn up on time for a shift and he didn't start til 1PM. I have lost count the amount of times I have been called in for breakfast because the chefs were too pissed and hadn't turned up. It got so bad I started fining them from their wages. This was until i could get rid of them
I have a sous chef before who was a brilliant cook but when he got pissed he was an absolute knob. In the end he got chased out of the town because he had got wrecked and started threatening the landlady of the pub with her bar stool until her teenage son came over and knocked him out. I got back from my days off once to hear how the junior sous chef had started service and then went to the toilet, 30 minutes later the other chefs went to check on him and found him sleeping under the sink. I had a Kp who had no teeth couldn't live without speed, the boy could down a 4 litre tub of ice cream in seconds and then start on jam tarts, If he wasn't addicted to speed he would have been a right fat bastard!
I have had to get in between so many chefs and Kps to stop them kicking the shit out of one another over the tiniest thing because one has the hangover from hell!

No comments:

Post a Comment