Saturday 5 March 2011

If you want to be the best, learn from the best!

I had a young lad in my kitchen for his work experience last summer. I was sat down with himself outside after service and I asked him what sort of chef he wanted to be, his reply like all young chefs was "I want to be as good as Gordon Ramsey!" to which my reply was "if you want to be the best you have to learn from the best!"
Now i was really proud of my advice because I really wish someone had said that to me when I was 14. I really think if I had trained under a Michelin Starred chef I could have been something special and please don't think that is me being big headed. I know I am average chef now, I do nice food that my clientelle want and most appreciate and I get paid a decent wage, but I am at my limit. I am a 1 Rosette food that could possibly push to 2 Rosette, that is as far as I can go.
Anyway the boy left after enjoying his 2 weeks with us and went back to working saturdays in his local pub.
One of my waitresses came up to me the other day and asked if I remembered a work experience boy from the summer. His dad had come in for lunch and asked if I was still around. He sent in a message saying that from my advice his son was now working weekends at a 1 Michelin Star restaurants and wanted to thank me for what I said!
That was nice

No comments:

Post a Comment